Colorless is the new blue
Hey there folks,
Top 8'd last Catalan Vintage League this last Saturday (which was also my birthday BTW ). We were 23 players this time. My list was the same one from last tournament, except for +1 Lotus Petal -1 Mox Sapphire main and +2 Swords to Plowshares -2 Holy Light side. The tournament went like this:
- Round 1: win vs Jeskai Mentor 2-1 (WLW, OTP game 1). We should have drawn this one, but my opponent made a huge mistake in his last turn when he FoWd his own Time Walk to make some tokens (he has 2 Pyromancers). I had Thalia HC in play, so tokens entered tapped, so in my last turn I swung for lethal.
- Round 2: lost vs PO Mentor 1-2 (WLL, OTP game 1). Game 1 was easy (CotV @ 1 + Thalia GoT + Sphere into fast concession). I couldn't pressure him enough game 2, and Game 3 I had to mulligan to 5, started with Lotus -> Temple -> TKS that was Forced and that was game. Variance happens.
- Round 3: win vs Jeskai Mentor 2-0 (WW, OTP game 1). Match with no history, I just drew best than him.
- Round 4: win vs White Eldrazi 2-1 (WLW, OTD game 1). My opponent tried to start game 1 with Lotus -> Plains -> TKS; when I told him he can't play Seer without colorless mana he passed the turn with no other play. In my turn I played Revoker naming Lotus and that was it. Game 2 he started too strong, and he got stuck on lands game 3.
- Round 5: ID and in
- Top 8: lost vs Jeskai Mentor 1-2 (LWL, OTP game 1). Same opponent that Round 1, this time with no mistakes; he made lots and lots and LOTS of tokens with his pyromancers and I couldn't stop him. Losing Game 1 (for the first time since I play this deck) hurts a lot!
Total: 3-2 in matches, 8-6 in games (9-3 and 21-10 in the two last tournaments).
Some random thoughts:
- I really liked Lotus Petal, it allowed me to play some Thalias or Stony Silences turn 1. Mox Sapphire will not make a comeback in the next tournaments!
- I had a lot of trouble dealing with Elemental tokens vs Jeskai Mentor. Ironically, Holy Light would have helped a lot there. I'm thinking about replacing Swords for Ratchet Bombs to deal with tokens, given that I side out Stony Silence against Jeskai. Balance would be another possibility there.
- I mulliganed a lot less that the previous tournament, but I've also drawn a lot worse and got brutally flooded in three or four matches. Maybe 31 mana sources are really too much; I can see myself playing 3 Eldrazi Temples instead of 4. I'm not really sure which card should I add in this case.
Thanks for reading and feel free to comment!
Here's a few things I've noted:
- Cavern of Souls actually makes creatures of the chosen creature type uncounterable
...Except if you have the use the colorless mana to cast the creature (say you want to cast a Thought-Knot Seer off 2 Plains, a Mox Emerald and a Cavern naming Eldrazi; you will have to use the colorless mana from Cavern, thus TKS can be countered).
Another trick I just thought of: You can actually play counterspells targetting a non-counterable spell; they will just do nothing, but they will trigger Prowess, increase storm count, etc.
@DrStreetmention yes, I tend to ship back any hand without any white sources, unless it is explosive enough (Turn 1 TKS, Spheres+Wastelands or the like). About Lotus Petal, I think I'll try it next tournament instead of Mox Sapphire: if we have Stony SIlence in play it will be as bad as any mox; but again, if we have Stony Silence, it means that we had white mana already.
About mulligans, I felt that I mulliganed a lot (8 times in 17 matches, one of them down to 5, though I won these). I'm not sure it that's inherent to the deck or if I was just unlucky with my opening seven. Sadly, I didn't track which hands didn't keep.
"They vintage you". I like it
@ssasala you're right, I haven't tested so much against Shops (I sleeved the deck and take it to the tournament without any testing TBH), and I was lucky in my Top 4 matches; probably if they start explosively we will have a bad time. I'm sure we can fight back, though, as we can also cripple their manabase with strip effects and Stony Silences and play big creatures, like they do.
About Priests in the SB, that was mainly a meta call; Catalan Vintage League is an endless ocean of blue decks (Jeskai and Paradoxical builds being a 60-70% of the field), so I felt Priests were not needed maindeck. If your meta is more healthy, maindeck Priests are great for sure (though I'm not sure what would I side out to make room for them).
I haven't tested Serenity yet; I don't feel comfortable with so many non-creature White cards (against Shops post-board, I like to play only lots of mana, as much creatures as possible and Stony Silences) . But if the next matches against MUD go bad, I'll try it for sure.
@DrStreetmention : Thanks!
- I've played against a peculiar Ravager MUD version (with Traxos, Voltaic Servants, Forgemasters and Time Vault!) in Top 4 and I won easily, but that was because he was manascrewed in both games. I feel that we should be slightly favored anyway; maindeck Stony Silences and Big Thalia makes life difficult for them, and Displacer is a nightmare for his +1/+1 creatures (Ravager, Walker, Ballista and even Steel Overseer) even without maindeck Priests. I replaced Spheres, Thorn, Chalice and 1x Thalia GoT for 3 Kataki and 3 Containment Priest, but didn't see any of them in match 2.
- I didn't really miss maindeck Priests; there is almost no Oath in our meta (although this time 2 of my friends showed up with Show Oath) and exactly one Dredge player, so I preferred to focus in beating Paradoxical builds. And as I said earlier, against MUD, Displacer alone is good enough a lot of times.
- About the white sources: yes, this might be a problem. I lost Game 2 of the finals against Paradoxical Storm with Thalia GoT, Stony Slience and Kataki in hand and no white source. Anyway I prefer Stony Silence to Null Rod because is way too difficult to remove it (no Hurkyll's, Abrade, By Force nor Smelt). I'm considering replacing an off-color Mox for Lotus Petal to increase the white mana count, but I'm still not sold on it.
- Yes, Thalia HC is great. When you are on beatdown mode, the fact that opponent's creatures enters the battlefield tapped is invaluable. And it takes three full turns for them to actually get mana from the fetchlands. And is a 3/2 with First Strike, so even her numbers when we go aggro are huge.
- 31 sources is a lot of mana, but I'm playing Stonies, Spheres, Thorn and Thalias, so I don't wanna fall under my own taxing effects. Canopy would be a good idea to consider, but I feel comfortable with my 5 basic Plains (and sold my 2xFoil signed Canopies some time ago )
@Ten-Ten : The problem is that Holy Light cost 2W and I won't side out any of my taxing effects when playing against EtW/Pyros, so it will probably cost even more. And I want to be proactive, deploying threat after threat, so it will be difficult to hold 2W+ mana for Holy Light. So the idea is that the opponent won't be able to play so many tokens anyway.
EDIT to list my matches on the tournament:
- Round 1 lose (WLL) vs Jeskai Mentor, on the draw 1st game
- Round 2 win (WW) vs Leovold BUG, on the draw 1st game
- Round 3 win (WLW) vs Jeskai Mentor, on the draw 1st game
- Round 4 win (WW) vs Paradoxical Mentor, on the draw 1st game
- Round 5 ID vs Show Oath
- Top 8 win (WW) vs WUBG Beatdown, on the draw 1st game
- Top 4 win (WW) vs Traxos MUD, on the draw 1st game
- Final win (WLW) vs Paradoxical Storm, finally on the play 1st game
Total: 6-1 in matches, 13-4 in games.
Hey there folks,
I'm Roger, the winner of the Catalan Vintage Leage with White Eldrazi. I'll try to write some thoughts here in the next few days; I don't think I'll write a report, as I didn't take many notes. Just a couple of fast comments by now: Please forget about those SB Holy Lights, they make absolutely no sense (they should be replaced by some targeted removal, probably Swords to Plowshares). Other than that, I felt very comfortable with the decklist as I played it, I've played similar versions before Thorn got the axe last year and I feel very satisfied with it.
Feel free to ask any question in the meantime!