@chubbyrain said in [M19] Tezzeret, Artifice Master:
@evouga said in [M19] Tezzeret, Artifice Master:
Amusing, though as you well know, comparing new printings to superior existing options is a sound evaluation strategy regardless of whether it was incorrectly applied in the case of Teferi.
I disagree. I think it is a very poor method of card evaluation and has a horrible track record. I almost never use it and would encourage anyone looking to get better at Magic to refrain from using it. You can, and should, make an argument for or against a card's playability without using comparisons in 99% of cases.
While I am inclined to agree that we miss the mark a lot by comparing cards, I think it is valid in this case. I think our problem with comparisons is that often we make shallow and superficial ones where the cards are not really vying for the same slot, however this one seems to be. There are multiple other blue and colorless walkers of the same mana cost or less that do similar things to this.
- Jace, Architect of Thought can draw you 2 cards a turn, or one useable one, plus game ending ultimate for 1 less mana, sees no play
- Jace, TMS costs 4, can in effect draw you 3 cards a turn in the right shell, protect itself, Screw with your opponent, win the game on ultimate
- Tamiyo, the Moon Sage can draw multiple cards, can protect itself, ultimate can be a combo win on the spot
- Tezzeret the Seeker, can win the game in one turn, tutors and casts a card for you, game ending ultimate
- Karn draws cards, makes big dudes that get bigger, costs less and easier mana
Thats not even considering the off color or multi color walkers. Hell I'm noit even sure if I am playing a heavy artifact acceleration blue deck I wouldn't want Agent of Bolas instead, which also draws a card and can win the game 1 turn after for one less mana.
But even taking it just on its merits alone, 5 mana is a lot of mana in vintage for something that is not a very rapid win. Paying 5 mana and +1ing this dude to make a thopter is a really bad place to be, so I have to assume you want to drop this guy and 0 him every single time, which means that he is also weak to Null rod, artifact hate, etc, and also likely never using his ultimate unless the game goes crazy long, which really it should not if you are getting +2 cards ever game. I think that he is likely just shy of being strong enough, but I just don't see it.